Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Blog Challenge - Day 17 on Day 22.

Day 17. Write about 3 things that make you happy.

It would be really, really eays to just say Monkey, Lion, and Hubbie. Too easy. No point in writing that, really, no matter how true it is.

1. Monkey loves music and using it to tell stories in the same way I do. I was a huge musical theatre geek in school. Went to the
BEST theatre camp EVER and spent most of middle and high school consumed with plays and various choir groups. To this day, I find it very hard not to sing along to musicals, not to mention any old song in the car that resonates with me. And it's become clear this year that Monkey has inherited this love. She puts on performances for me in the living room, and cajoles until someone performs along with her. She shows me dances she's made up to songs they sing at school. I'll try to capture one on video to share here, but my girl doesn't perform on command - the spirit has to move her. She works hard to learn the words of songs, and wants to sing them over and over. We're currently fixated on the Disney musical version of Beauty and the Beast, and I find I still remember the words today. And it makes me smile so hard my face hurts, and I tear up just a little bit, because if she noticed she'd never believe they were happy tears. Even now I'm grinning like a fool just thinking about it.

2. I have a few REALLY good friends. I wish they lived closer, but I'm grateful to have them there to blubber to when I'm down. It's a lucky girl who knows there are at least four people she can honestly call in the middle of the night if something was really wrong. I think there are probably more, and am hopeful of another few in development, but I don't want to take it for granted. These are women I've known for a long, long time and expect to know forever. I'd trust them with anything, even though we are all very different people. I'm not very good at having acquaintances; I really don't know what's expected of me in that dynamic, but I am really, really blessed with s few solid, deep, lasting bonds, and I'd take that over mass popularity any day.


3. As much as I can vent and obsess, the big, important things in my life are good and stable. My kids are both healthy. And about as normal as you get (is anyone really 'normal'?). They are darn cute, brilliant, and well, healthy and normal. And I am thankful for it every day. Monkey and I 'do our gratefuls' every night at bedtime, and I always just want to tell her how grateful I am she and Lion are just healthy. And happy, and here. And that they are both growing big and strong and becoming their amazing own selves. My marriage is good, and we both agree that we will always be working on that. We have very similar life priorities, so ever when we don't communicate so well, we're able to fly by the seat of our pants because we're pretty likely to make the same choice anyway. We are, all four of us, of sound mind and body, and that is not something I take for granted. There's a lot of divorce and addiction in my family, and I feel those challenges so deeply. But our little home is strong and steady, and I will not ever let myself take that for granted. And knowing that makes me happy.

No comments: